Saturday, September 18, 2010

Undefinable


IF by Jane Monheit

If a picture paints a thousands words
Then why can't I paint you?
The words would never show
The you I've come to know

If a face could launch a thousands ships
Then where am I to go?
There's no one here but you
You're all that's left me too

And when - my love - for life - is running dry
You come - and pour - yourself - on me

If a man could be two places at one time
I'd be with you
Tomorrow and today
Beside you all the way

If the world should stop revolving
Slowly spinning down to die
I'd spend the end with you
And when the world was through

Then one - by one - the stars - would all go out
And you - and I - would simply fly away

Every time hear/sing this song I go someplace else. Not of this world. To a place where I forever walk hand in hand with my husband on a cold Chicago night under soft street lights hidden by snow. To a place where I rock my little ones to sleep and feel their warm breath of life on my cheek. To the place where I live for eternity with my creator in such an intimate partnership that I can not begin to describe.

When I listen to this song I feel the presence of my God in these earthly loved ones to a depth that is undefinable. To the place where God dwells in them. With all of our imperfections, in heaven where all will be perfect, this is the only part of each other that we will witness. The part of us that is as God had intended, without fault, created in His image.

Sleep easy little ones, the time will come. Until then rejoice in the hope and promise of our eternal future.

No comments:

Post a Comment